Help Your Teen Have a Fun & Productive Summer
School’s out for summer! As both a student and a teacher I looked forward to summer vacation, probably even more as a teacher.
While I do believe in an old-fashioned summer for kids, that doesn’t mean that your teen should stare at a screen the whole time. My summers always included some educational components, usually disguised as a fun activity. (My mom was sneaky that way!) Your teen can enjoy their summer and still be productive!
Summer is an ideal time to get ahead for the next year. Your teen might have a summer assignment or wants to prepare for a standardized exam like the SAT or ACT. He can also get organized for the next school year!
Plan for a Fun & Productive Summer
Start planning right away with your teen. Make a list of things that MUST be done over the summer, activities your teen hopes happen this summer, and any commitments, such as vacations, camps, or work. Have your teen place all those commitments in their planner – and yes, they still need a planner over the summer.
Working with your teen, schedule time for each of the must-dos and select a few want-to-dos. Try to spread all of these out over the long summer. And avoid over-scheduling; leave time open for some summer laziness!
Not sure what your teen should be doing this summer? I’ve got some ideas! Some are more academic in nature, while others sneak learning and productivity in!
Prepping for Next Year
- How to Spend the Summer Before Senior Year
- Why Everyone Should Reflect at the End of the Year
- How to Save Your Summer from Your Summer Assignment
- How to Get Your Teenager to Use a Planner
Stay Busy (and Learn)
- Summer Slide Activities for Teens
- 50+ Fun Summer Activities for Teens & Tweens
- How to Learn While on Vacation – And Still Have Fun!
- How to Conduct a Family Oral History
- Keep Teens Loving Social Studies All Summer Long
- Summer Reading Recommendations for Teens
- How to Get Reluctant Readers to Actually Read + Suggested Books
- Why Your Teen Absolutely Needs a Summer Job
- 3 Reasons Your Teen Should Volunteer
- Why Summer is the Best Time for Tutoring
A little planning up front can ensure that your teen has a good time this summer, but also uses their brain, too!