50+ Fun Summer Activities for Teens & Tweens
Is there anything better than summer vacation? Long days, warm nights, and nothing to do.
I always loved summer break . . . for the first 6 weeks or so. And then boredom started to kick in. I had already read all my books, tried all my new recipes, and watched all my movies. The days started to drag.
If you are a teen with perhaps a little to much time on your hands or a parent who wants to keep your kid active and off their phone this summer, this list is for you! I scoured the internet (by which I mean Pinterest) for awesome and fun ideas for summer activities.
Summer Boredom Busters for Teens & Tweens
- Get a job – Even if you’re too young to work at the mall or don’t have transportation, there are always small jobs you can do around your neighborhood. You could mow lawns, walk dogs, pet sit for neighbors while they are on vacation, or babysit.
- Volunteer – Visit Volunteer Match to discover opportunities that match your interests and schedule
Outside Summer Activities
It’s time to head outside! Here are all sorts of activities to do outside, some by yourself and some with friends or family.
- Grill pizza
- Hit the pool
- Create a slip and slide at home (This sounds epic, BTW)
- Plant a veggie garden or flowers
- Take a hike
- Walk to the local convenience store to buy a Slurpee.
- Go for a bike ride
- Hit up yard sales next weekend
- Visit a national or state park
- Head to the skate park
- Play tourist in your home town
- Wash a car
- Train for a 5K
- Play a backyard game like croquet or volleyball
- Stargaze at night
- Eat a meal (any meal) outside
- Go geocaching
- Water gun fight!
- Make s’mores – this is pretty much required, right?
- Visit the zoo
- Create a scavenger hunt and invite friends to participate
- Go for a picnic
- Find a list of local festivals (check out the local newspaper’s website for a list or your buddy Google) and pick a few to attend
- Pick up game of basketball, baseball, kickball, whatever
Inside Summer Activities
Lets’ face it – the summer is hot. Sometimes too hot to stay outside all the time. Or you might be more interested in the “Great Indoors.” 🙋🏽
- Read a book. I’ve got some ideas here and here.
- Write – you could keep a journal or write short stories. Or even create a blog and write there.
- Set up a game night with family or friends.
- Complete a jigsaw puzzle.
- Figure out how to fix something that is broken in your house. (Talk to the parents first!)
- Find a recipe that looks delicious and then cook it.
- Bake cookies and take them to the local fire department.
- DIY Spa Day at home – check out Pinterest for ideas
- Visit the local thrift store
- Make a scrapbook
- Learn to play a musical instrument
- Redecorate your room
- Make ice cream in a bag
- Go bowling with family or friends
- Plan a family vacation (I did this, but it took my mom and me TEN YEARS to finally take that vacation. Totally worth it, though.)
- Movie marathon – even better with popcorn and friends
- Find an interesting local museum and go visit it
- Jam session with friends
Crafty Summer Activities
- Learn to knit or crochet
- Photo-a-day challenge
- Make bath bombs
- Tie-dye t-shirts
- Make soap
- Sew cloth napkins
- Create kindness cards and then place them all over the neighborhood
- Want more ideas? Head here or here.